Tips to Get Your Vehicle Winter ReadyNovember 27, 2019 4:57 am Leave your thoughts
Winter is just around the corner, so before the weather gets frightful it’s important to make sure your vehicle is prepared for the cold and ice. There are a variety of simple inspections and maintenance steps you can take to keep your vehicle in good condition and prevent it from having any serious, unexpected issues during the winter months.
With this in mind, here are just a few pre-winter car maintenance tips in Middletown, NJ to get your vehicle ready for the season:
- Change your oil: If you’re getting close to your recommended oil change interval, you may as well get it changed before winter hits. This will allow you to select an oil that will have the right viscosity for the season. Keep in mind that oil thickens as the weather gets colder, and oil that is too thick will have a hard time lubricating the engine. This is why many types of vehicles can benefit from slightly thinner oil during the winter months, though your owner’s manual will be able to provide you with more information about the best oil to use.
- Perform battery maintenance: Car battery maintenance in Middletown, NJ is another important step to take to keep your vehicle in good condition for the winter. Perform a quick visual inspection and make sure the battery is corrosion-free, and that it has the proper level of water. If the battery is more than three years old, it can be a good idea to test its ability to hold a charge as well. The last thing you want during the winter is to have your battery die, stranding you on the side of the road on a freezing cold day.
- Check tires: Your tires should be in good condition, with plenty of tread to give you sufficient traction when the roads are covered with snow and ice. You might consider switching to snow tires for the winter to maximize the amount of traction you’re able to get with your vehicle. It’s also important to check the air pressure in your tires. As the weather gets colder, your tire pressure will drop (about 1 psi per 10 degrees Fahrenheit), so check your pressure and add air as necessary to stay within the recommended ranges.
- Check wipers: Windshield wiper blades should generally be replaced twice a year. If yours are damaged or it’s simply been a while since you last changed them, it’s a good idea to get that done before the winter. Make sure you also have plenty of windshield washer fluid, which will help you clear your windshield during snowstorms. The defroster and heater should also be in good working order so you can keep the windshield clear of ice and fog.
- Check belts and hoses: Whenever you get a full-service inspection done on your vehicle, you should check all belts and hoses for wear and tear, as the cold can really wreak havoc on them over the winter months.
For more tips about pre-winter car maintenance in Middletown, NJ, contact the experts at Lentz Auto Body today.
Categorised in: Auto Maintenance
This post was written by Writer